Large and Small Shanks
- Our most popular standard Wedge trombone models currently available for tenor and bass trombone are shown in the comparison chart at the link below.
- We offer mouthpieces with the usual Small shank and / or Large shank, depending on the mouthpiece size.
- Small shanks are found on smaller mouthpieces such as Bach 12C, 7C.
- The tip of a small shank measures about .427 inches (10.85 mm)
- Large shanks are found on larger tenor and bass trombone mouthpieces such as the Bach 1-/2G.
- The tip of a large shank measures about .5 inches (12.73 mm)
- Note that many medium sized trombone mouthpieces are offered with either a large or small shank.
- Remington shank mouthpieces are available for tenor sizes 100AL, 101GS, 101G 103G, and 104G.
- The Remington shank is a large shank with slightly slower Brown and Sharp taper compared to the regular Morse taper.
- It is used in certain (mostly vintage) tenor and bass trombones with a Remington receiver. Remington shanks were used in many vintage Conn large bore trombones starting in Elkhart, (1954-70) to Abilene, TX (1970-86) to Eastlake, OH (1986-92) Conn 8H, 88H, 60H, 62H, 70H-73H from around 1954 until the early 90’s.
- The modern 88H accepts a regular Morse taper mouthpiece.
- A Morse taper mouthpiece will not seat properly in a Remington receiver, and notes will not slot or speak as well as they would with a Remington shank mouthpiece.
- A Remington shank will not insert far enough into a regular receiver, and will wobble because the tip is larger than a regular large shank mouthpiece.
- The tip of a Remington shank measures about .510 inches (12.95 mm)
Medium European Shanks
- Medium European shanks for available for trombone sizes 100AL, 101G, 103G, 104G, and for all euphonium sizes.
- Some bass trombones, for example some vintage King models, have an extra deep receiver.
- If your mouthpiece inserts more than 1.25 inches (31 mm) into your leadpipe be sure to select the BT Deep Receiver option when ordering bass trombone mouthpieces.
- The tip of our medium shank measures .463 inches (11.76 mm)
- THERE IS SIGNIFICANT VARIABILITY BETWEEN MEDIUM EUROPEAN SHANKS FROM DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS. CALL BEFORE ORDERING.