Flugelhorn Shank Specifications
Flugelhorn Shank Options
Wedge flugelhorn shanks are available to fit flugelhorns requiring each of the commonly used shanks - namely French, Bach, Standard and German Taper.
We also offer special shanks that allow your flugelhorn top to be used in your trumpet, or as a British cornet mouthpiece.
It is important to know which shank your particular flugelhorn takes before ordering. The best way to confirm the proper shank for your instrument is to check with the manufacturer, however, we have included some general guidelines below.
Flugelhorn Shank Guide
Flugelhorns are made with receivers designed to fit different mouthpiece tapers. Some receivers will fit more than one taper, for example a Bach shank will fit in a French receiver, but horns will play best with shank for which they were designed.
There is a fair bit of confusion about choosing the right shank, partly because some manufacturers use two or even three types of receiver, and some provide more than one leadpipe with their horns. The following is a list drawn from a variety of sources.
If you do not find your make and model in the following list, it is because there is either no or conflicting information depending on the source. In that case the best strategy is to contact the manufacturer of your instrument.
French (No Taper):
* Outer diameter at the tip of the shank typically measures about .388 inches.
* Compatible with: French Besson, Couesnon, Flip Oakes, Kanstul CCF 925, 725, Miraphone.
Bach (Sometimes referred to as American) Small Morse Taper
* Outer diameter at the tip of the shank typically measures about .354 to .358 inches.
* B & S, Bach, R, S, Berkeley, Besson Sovereign, Courtois, Eclipse, F. E. Olds, Holton, LeBlanc, Taylor, Kanstul models 725, 1025, and newer 1525, Miraphone , Olds FE, Phaeton, Reynolds, Schilke, Selmer, Taylor.
Standard (Also sometimes referred to as American) Large Morse Taper:
* Outer diameter at the tip of the shank typically measures about .368 inches.
* Adams, Allure, Austin Custom flugelhorns, Benge, Blessing, Calicchio, Callet, Conn Vintage One, Eclipse, Gerd Dowids, Getzen, Josef Lidl, older Kanstul 1525, King, Lawler, Miraphone , Orlando Wind Instruments, Schilke, Stomvi, Thomas Inderbinen , Weril, Yamaha.
German Taper (very similar to trumpet taper, but slightly larger):
* Outer diameter at the tip of the shank typically measures about .386 to .390 inches.
* Gerd Dowids, some other German rotary flugelhorns. Our trumpet taper shank will work well in most German rotary flugelhorns.