The Wedge FLC flugelhorn top is a dual purpose top. It functions equally well as a flugelhorn top or as a deep cornet top depending on the backbore/shank with which it is paired. (see backbore specifications below). Paired with a Cornet backbore, the result is a mouthpiece that is deeper than a Wick B cup and not as deep as a deep Wick cornet or flugelhorn cup.
- Inner Diameter: .590 measured .04 inches into the cup.
- Outer Diameter: 1.094
- Throat: 19
- Backbore: This top is played with either a Bach, French, Standard (Yamaha), or Trumpet shank which can be purchased here. For deep Cornet, this top is played on a Wedge British (Short) Cornet backbore, purchased here.
- Wedge Generation 2 Line - The Generation 2 flugelhorn mouthpieces are designed to incorporate the advantages of the Wedge rim and oval cup in a mouthpiece that is very comfortable and easy to adapt to from a conventional rim. The rim is slightly wider than our original Standard Brand rims. This mouthpiece has our new Double Oval Cup (DOC). The diameter of the rim and cup in the vertical dimension is 10/1000 of an inch larger than it is from side to side. This means that the oval shape of the Wedge rim is continued down to the base of the cup where it joins the throat. The DOC design, found only in Wedge mouthpieces, provides the added efficiency of a smaller mouthpiece with the big sound, clear attacks, and flexibility of the larger mouthpiece.
- Acclimatization - Acclimatization time varies, but most players find they have fully adjusted to the new rim shape within a few days. Most players are able to alternate between a Wedge rim and conventional rim, although the vast majority of players will convert all of their mouthpieces to the Wedge design because of its obvious advantages once they have adapted. We do offer discounts to players who need to purchase a number of Wedge mouthpieces for various instruments.
- Guarantee and Return Policy - Most Wedge mouthpieces come with our 90 day money back guarantee. The mouthpiece can be returned for a full refund if it is not clearly superior to your regular mouthpiece, provided it is still in new condition (minor insertion marks are accepted). Exceptions are custom mouthpieces and discounted mouthpieces.