Discounted items are Final Sale and will not be accepted for refunds or exchanges.
Characteristics - The Wedge 3G is actually based on the Curry 3D. It is similar in size and playing characteristics to a Bach 3G, but has a slightly deeper cup. The 3G size is considered by many as intermediate between tenor and bass trombone. The Wedge 3D has an excellent lower register if one chooses to use it for bass trombone while providing enhanced upper register performance from the highly efficient Wedge rim. It also makes an excellent euphonium mouthpiece. The 3G is available with large shank and .275 throat.
Material - These mouthpieces can be made in either Delrin or Acrylic plastic. Here is a comparison of their characteristics:
- Feels softer on the chops because it has more give than metal. This is a great advantage for players with braces.
- Not as slippery as silver, giving more grip.
- Added grip makes Delrin mouthpieces feel smaller than their metal counterparts with the same size designation.
- Not as smooth as metal, so some players may feel slight chop irritation for the first day or two while they adjust.
- More comfortable to play in cold weather because they feel warm on the chops.
- Plastic mouthpieces are more responsive than brass, making soft entries more secure.
- Articulation less crisp with less point at the front of the note compared to brass.
- Darker sound than brass.
- Less core in the sound compared to brass.
- Sounds darker than brass mouthpiece when used with brass or stainless steel backbore.
Acclimatization - Acclimatization time varies, but most players find they have fully adjusted to the new rim shape within a few days. Most players are able to alternate between a Wedge rim and conventional rim, although the vast majority of players will convert all of their mouthpieces to the Wedge design because of its obvious advantages once they have adapted. We do offer discounts to players who need to purchase a number of Wedge mouthpieces for various instruments.
Guarantee and Return Policy - Most Wedge mouthpieces come with our 90 day money back guarantee. The mouthpiece can be returned for a full refund if it is not clearly superior to your regular mouthpiece. Exceptions are custom mouthpieces and discounted mouthpieces.